lauantai 3. elokuuta 2013

Lost classic, pt. 1

Popular and long-lived bands usually play their classics at concerts and some classic songs gets lost. Think about Uriah Heep, when have you heard the song Return to Fantasy. Or Deep Purple's Smooth Dancer? Yes, there are lost classics, which must be found again.

I used to listen to Scorpions in early 80's. They had many hits in Uli Roth's era, but the band have made so many new hits after those days, that it is not possible to play 100 songs per concert. I want to introduce one lost classic from their album Taken by force. The name of the song is He's a Woman - She's a Man. It was also released as single in 1977.

The line-up of the band was Klaus Meine (voc), Uli Jon Roth (gt.), Rudolf Schenker (gt), Francis Buchhold (bass) and Herman Rarebell (drums). Taken by force was the last album of this line-up. They had made four records by this line-up, and this last album has features from their previous albums, but also more commercial features, which were coming to their fort-coming albums.

I read the lyrics in He's a Woman - She's a Man sexually oriented: I saw it walking lonely down the street/Cool like a cat and like a crazy dream/I'm looking twice again and can't believe/It turned around and then it looked at me/I thought "oh, no" it really couldn't be/It was a man and was a woman too/He's a woman/ She's a man.

I will not do any scientific analysis of the lyrics, but anyway I'd say, it was not easy to accept the lyrics in 70's. Scorpions were pioneers in sexuality, because they had had problems with the front picture in Virgin killer.

Enjoy this lost classic and its video.









Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti